Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Day Jitters

Today was the first day of our summer program for students with special needs and I was more nervous than the students! I am a Early Childhood Education undergrad with 18 years experience teaching little ones.  I am working on completing my masters in Learning Disabilites.  I branched out into Special Ed because I wanted to learn more about how to help my nephew who has autism, with the benefit of also being able to help students in my general ed classroom. 

So, today was my first day in a practicum experience teaching children with special needs. I had a thousand worries but they quickly melted away when we got the students into the classroom.  They are a great bunch of kids and I am looking forward to working with them.  I hope we can all learn a lot together.

Sometimes taking that first step into something new is very frightening.  You feel you are about to step off a cliff and wonder what on earth you were thinking!  But, then you try and discover a new exciting experience you have never had before.

So, if you are thinking about doing something new and different...Go For IT!!

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=stepping+off+a+cliff&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS451US451&biw=1366&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbnid=u-sIvS-

5 comments:

  1. I like the way you added a picture and the way you made sure you gave credit for it! As for your worries, I'm glad it turned out well. Since you were anxious, just imagine how our students feel when they are in new situations! I look forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your jitters subsided. I can guarantee all of your students were actively engaged and sincerely enjoy learning from you. This is a great lesson: Kids are kids...regardless of age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how scary the prospect of something new can seem until you're finally faced with it. I definitely agree that trying something new at the SLP is like taking a step off a cliff because once you've created their goals, you're in charge of the activities and strategies that will push them to achieving that goal: there is no safety net. It's scary to think about but just like any other experience with trying something new, it will be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have as much early childhood experience as you but I felt the same way. I am very out of my comfort zone with these older children. Although I am out of my comfort zone it is really a lot of fun to interact with children of a different age group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @K4Teacher and @funnyteachingheart - Don't be too anxious. I am there as your safety net. If you have any questions or concerns, please come to me. As I observe what is going on in the classrooms, if anyone is off track, I will be there to help. That is why this is such a great situation. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete