Sunday, July 29, 2012

Last Week

We have reached the last week at the Summer Learning Place.  It has been a good experience.  I enjoyed working with the students and seeing them progress in their skills.  Looking back to the first week, I was very nervous.  I had never taught this age group before and was concerned about teaching them.  I was concerned about testing and curriculum.  After the first week of scrambling, things settled into a routine.  It has been interesting exploring the internet for available curriculum and ideas.

One thing that overwhelmed me was the vast array of ability levels in math.  It made me wonder how we could help all of them at the same time.  It was a little discouraging at first.  We tried grouping and then I came up with math folders.  I copied a multitude of worksheets in the areas the students needed to work on.  Then looking at each student’s goals, I compiled a folder with a few worksheets for each student.  If the student’s goal was to complete 9 out of 12 addition problems correctly, I sectioned off 12 problems for him to complete on that worksheet.  If he met his goal, we checked it off on his goal chart.  The immediate reinforcement of checks on the goal chart encouraged the students to work hard in those areas so they could earn the rewards.  Students often asked for worksheets so they could meet their goal.  I even had one ask if she could do flashcards during playtime!

We also had good success with DEAR time.  Each student chose a chapter book to read during DEAR time.  Each day the students completed a journal sheet about what they read that day.   We used graphic organizers for story mapping, character analysis and sequencing.  This week the students will work on writing a paragraph about their story and creating a poster or diorama depicting their favorite scene in the book.  On Thursday they will present their book report in front of the class.  Some students are choosing to dress up as their favorite character.  I am looking forward to seeing their presentations!

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes teaching can be a treasure hunt. Each student is so different that something may work for one person but not enough. But once you find a key that works, it makes it all worthwhile. I can't wait to see the presentations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our class could have collaborated with yours more! You are such a great teacher with fantastic lesson ideas! I cannot wait to see the students in your class present their book reports! We're going to encourage our students to dress up on the last day also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an amazing teacher with fabulous ideas! I really love the idea of getting the students involved with individualized goal charts. I don't know what your plans are for the future, but I certainly hope you consider the possibility of becoming a special educator. The teaching profession needs more teachers like you! I've enjoyed learning from you the last couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    It has been wonderful working with you and I am so grateful for all of the supplies you brought in for our classroom! I also loved the goal cards you had they made keeping up with everything so easy!
    I enjoyed this alot and i'll see you next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a great teacher! I am glad that we were able to do book buddies! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete