Tuesday, June 9, 2009

F.A.T. City Video--processing


I really enjoyed the video. I have seen part of it before, but it is great to see again and again. It is very enlightening and helps you to be more aware of the needs a student with learning disabilities has. I liked the helpful hint the teacher gave to remove anxiety from a class discussion.

The teacher pointed out the difficulty a student with learning disablities has with processing information and how this can add to the tension the student feels as he is trying to process the information given in a class discussion, at the same time, understand a question being asked and being ready to respond with an answer. He suggested taking the student aside privately and discuss the difficulty the student is having in class discussions. Address how the student is afraid the teacher is going to call on him, the students may laugh at him, or the teacher may be upset with him when he is not ready to give an answer. The teacher made an agreement with the student to only ask him questions when he was standing right in front of his desk. This helped to alleviate the tension and anxiety the student was feeling and made him more comfortable in the class, so he could focus on the discussion. The teacher also said this would lead to more confidence in the student and an ability to answer more questions.

3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that two of you noticed the same things about the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the same portion of the video interesting. It made me understand that I need to set up these types of agreements with students in order for them to feel more comfortable and gain confidence. I had a student in my room this year that was very bright, but always needed extra time to figure things out. I wish I'd made this kind of agreement with him. I wanted him to be able to share his ideas because he's such a bright child. Standing in front of him from time to time would make him accountable for participating in the conversation, but it would make the rest of class less nerving for this child with learning disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was also my second time seeing the video. This time around, I was able to better understand the emotions that students with learning disabilities deal with on a day to day basis. Anxiety and tension are at the forefront of this complex. I agree that it's vital for teachers to give their students adequate time to answer questions and complete assignments. I also agree that encouraging student confidence is key for success.

    ReplyDelete