Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Impact of a Teacher


None of us truly know the full impact we will have on a student's life, but we know that we want that impact to be for good. We want to be an encourager, one who explains the material well, one who makes learning easy, and one who inspires a student reach new heights along the path to their full potential.
As we look back on our own lives, only a few teachers stand out and they usually fall into two categories: the teachers who helped us to be a better student and person, and those who made school difficult. What makes these teachers so different? When we think of the teachers we loved being in their classroom, we remember that they cared about us. They showed us this in their words and actions. When we think of teachers who made us hate or dread going into their classroom, we remember the incidents when we were embarrassed, the comments that cut and lingered, and how we felt during those incidents. Just like the teacher stated in the F.A.T. City video that we watched in class, a sarcastic comment we say, we will forget in the next minute, but the student will always remember.
The teacher runs the classroom, sets the atmosphere in the classroom, and can impact lives. The video showed many examples of how a teacher, through carelessness, can negatively impact a student, especially a student with learning disabilities.
Think back to those classrooms whose doors we walked through. Which classrooms did we love and which ones did we dread? Which classroom will my classroom be? The choice is mine. As a teacher, I am the pivotal point in the room and I can have a great impact on a student’s life with my words and actions. I need to be sure that I am careful with both so that I cam impact student’s lives for good.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I love how you reflected about yourself too. I hope that I can be an inspirational teacher. I think if you are asking these questions, you must be caring and conscientious teacher also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that teachers can have such a huge impact on their students. Positive AND negative comments can stay with a child for an entire lifetime. Keeping this is mind, I find it important for teachers to watch what they say and how they say it. In my opinion, actions speak louder than words, so teachers must be careful when leading their class by example as well.

    ReplyDelete